Sunday, August 21, 2016

Gluten free pancakes

I am posting this recipe for my kids, who have been pushing me to blog again because they want to have access to their favorite recipes when they leave home.  I am also posting this for my friends, Rochelle and Yael, who have been looking for good gluten-free recipes.  Very recently, I have adopted a no-sugar, no-flour diet for health reasons which I won't get into here.  I actually did not think I could successfully give up sugar because I had tried before but the interesting thing is that when I gave up the flour too, it made me crave sugar less.  I don't know if this will last forever.  I know myself and I love to have treats. The real question is if I can find recipes such as this one which satisfy my craving for comfort foods, like Sunday morning pancakes.  

I made this recipe thinking it was for me and my kids wouldn't touch it but they did and they agreed with me that they were sweet enough to eat without syrup.  It's a nice little high protein treat I can hand them when they are getting on the school bus in a week.  


The recipe is very easy.  

Gluten Free Pancakes
1 banana, mashed
1 egg
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 tablespoon coconut flour

I used frozen bananas because these are overripe bananas so they are super sweet.  You mash up the banana, then add the rest of the ingredients and mix until smooth. Then let the batter sit for about 20 minutes because the chia seeds soak up the liquid and it gets thick.  

I fried these in a cast-iron pan with some coconut oil but you could also use butter.  

Notes: 
  • You can easily double or triple this recipe.  
  • The first time I made these, I was nervous about using coconut flour because I have had bad experience with coconut flour and I thought there would be no way my kids would eat them with coconut flour so I made it with regular all-purpose flour.  It thickens like than coconut flour so I probably used about 3 tablespoons of flour.  These pancakes came out nicely too and my kids like them (but I didn't eat them).  You could probably swap in other gluten free flours as well in you don't have coconut flour. 
  • The chia seeds, once you allow them to soak, are not really crunchy but you will see tiny flecks of black. If your kids are finicky about things like that in their pancakes, you can chop in some chocolate in the batter and then tell them it's chocolate (which will be partly true - I never like lying to my kids).  
  • The coconut flour can make these a bit hard to stick together so I would go with smaller pancakes as you can see here in the picture.  This way you can fit the entire pancake in a spatula when you turn them over and they are less likely to break apart.  



No comments:

Post a Comment